[Altruistic-Economics] Dematerialism and altruism

John Preston gizmoguy1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:08:45 PDT 2011

On 28/04/11 15:55, Robin Upton wrote:
> On 03/20/2011 11:44 PM, Tom Wayburn wrote:
>> Hi Robin (and John if he sees this),
>>
>> It strikes me that John's is a very conservative proposal and is well within
>> the political tolerance bounds of most people.  Dematerialism, on the other
>> hand, attempts to take reciprocal altruism out of the economy.  People are
>> supposed to disregard who benefits and by how much and concentrate instead
>> on the pleasure they derive from manufacturing the good or providing the
>> service with no account of the consumer as an individual.
> This is a very interesting angle. On the one hand, not thinking of
> others sounds like a nonsense, and not a good way to help. On the other,
> I think we are all aware of just how wrong the standard conceptions of
> the world/how to help/etc. are. And this morning I was teaching the
> children, by showing them videos of the Milgram experiment etc. of the
> importance of thinking themselves, making their own decisions about what
> to do etc. And asking them whether they had beauty in their lives. Could
> you explain more of the philosophy of this approach?
>> If consumers like
>> what he provides and continue to request it, the economy will provide him
>> what he values most - the privilege of doing the work.
> If you haven't already read John Taylor Gatto on the privilege of work
> point, he comes with my very highest recommendation.
> http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/14j.htm is the most relevant
> section of an excellent book of his.
>> Dematerialism asks
>> for an adjustment of human nature that rejects maladaptive propensities in
>> favor of better ones.
>>
>> Tom Wayburn
>>
>> P.S.  My ideas were influenced by the intrinsic motivational school of
>> psychology including the work of John Condry, Ed Deci, and Richard Ryan.
> A show I made on ex- v. in-trinsic motivation is at
> http://www.unwelcomeguests.net/506
> I came at this via my study of the money system and mass forced
> schooling. I would value your thoughts.
>
> Robin

Am I correct in thinking that dematerialism is the idea of removing
material gains (e.g. money, property) from an economic system and
replacing it with immaterial gains (e.g. pleasure, happiness)?

- --
Yours Sincerely,
John Preston

Please note, that this message may be signed and/or encrypted with PGP
(available from http://www.pgp.com/) or GPG (available from
http://www.gnupg.org/). You can locate my PGP/GPG Public Key on my
website at:

http://geek.shell.la/~gizmoguy/