[GiftEconomy] questioning the gift economy

Tereza Coraggio tereza at retrometro.com
Mon Mar 28 11:05:27 PDT 2011

Hi, Frank

Thanks for your respectful reply to my note. If you're on my website,
my shows are sorted by theme under Third Paradigm in the menu bar. All
of the shows on economics come up first, if you want a shortcut to
them. Thanks for being interested in pursuing them further, Frank.

The basic question that I wanted to get back to is: if money isn't a
valid form of exchange (which we both agree it isn't) what gives you
the right to the tea you "gave" to your friend? Did you give away
something that didn't belong to you in the first place? Is that a gift
from you or is it a "gift" from the tea-grower to both of you - a gift
that was stolen from them?

If money isn't valid and property ownership depends on money, in our
society, what is it that we really own? My answer would be our time
and labor. That's the only thing that's rightfully ours. I also
believe we have a right to secure tenure on the land - which was
stolen in the US from the indigenous peoples and which has been stolen
from us since through property taxes and mortgages.

I'm not rejecting the gift economy. But I think that we should be
defining a variety of economic goals that we have, and choosing the
system that most enhances that goal, rather than one system for all
circumstances. It may be cash, a tax-deductible donation, a local
currency, an investment in products not profit, barter, my charitrade
model, or the gift economy.

I often feel that this group starts with the position that the gift
economy is the answer, no matter what the question is. I think that
the gift economy is valid when you're giving what truly belongs to you
- your time and labor. If you're a farmer or a miner, you can give the
products of your labor without qualms. But otherwise, if you give the
product of someone else's labor, you're giving what was first stolen.
How does the gift economy address this?

Thanks for the conversation,

Tereza