[GiftEconomy] The People's Building and Land Trust

Robin Stent robin at stent.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 13:45:09 PDT 2012

Hi there,

My name's Robin and I'm the founder of The People's Building and Land Trust.

The Trust is a non profit organisation that exists to facilitate a
transition to a gift economy and a society that doesn't rely on economic
growth and associated pollution and resource depletion for stability.

We will do this by taking donations to buy and rent out housing, and
provide free accommodation to 10% of our tenants in order that they can
have the freedom to contribute to society in whatever way they see fit,
without the need for monetary resources.

By charging rent to most of our tenants we will be able to continue
expanding by using the income from rent and donations to buy further
buildings and land and in turn further increase the number of people who
will receive free accommodation. In the process we will also take
buildings and land out of the hands of profit driven banks, landlords
and property companies.

The trust will also:

- Improve energy efficiency and decrease the reliance on fossil fuels of
buildings in its ownership, as well as finding other ways to reduce
their environmental impact.

- Use up to 10% of its income to provide free public transport serving
those living in areas it owns housing

- In its role as a landlord, treat its tenants with respect, and
maintain rents at a reasonable rate.

- Aim to bring disused buildings back into use by negotiating their purchase

- Aim to negotiate the purchase of publicly useful buildings or land
that are threatened in some way, for example by profit driven redevelopment.

- Use up to 5% of its income to raise awareness of issues such as
consumerism, carbon emissions, overpopulation, reliance on fossil fuels
and other finite natural resources, and social justice issues.

Thanks for reading. If you're interested in our project you can
communicate via any of the following ways:

Web: peoplestrust.org.uk
Diaspora: diasp.eu/u/peoplestrust
Facebook: fb.com/thepeoplestrust
Email: info at peoplestrust.org.uk