[GiftEconomy] would like to learn more

Robin 2009 robin2009 at altruists.org
Tue Sep 11 11:39:46 PDT 2012

Welcome to the gift economy mailing list. I enjoyed reading your page and it helped remind me of some of my favourite thinking:

"We've been brought up to think that things happen in our outer
environment that cause us to feel a certain way, think in a certain way
etc, but really it's the other way around, that pattern of feeling, or
thinking, that experience that takes us out of our heart and joy, is in
us, and the world rises up to mirror it."

I had this same conviction when I first came to Bangladesh, back in 1998. Part of the reason why, I'm sure, was that people seemed to have so little in material terms, but were often so happy with it. Another part was that I was here for long enough (4-5 months) to observe my own mood swings, and how disconnected they were to the relatively constant environment.

Good timing. Today I was talking about this type of thing with my first couchsurfer here in Bangladesh, who has come overland from Turkey, and had been very pleasantly surprised by how hospitable and generous people had been. "The kingdom lies within you". We have more power than some would like us to realize. I rejoice in your energy.

I am creating a presentation on "The Psychology of Money" and welcome collaborators or comment on my first rough draft.

Robin

http://UnwelcomeGuests.net