[Altruistic-Economics] (no subject)

Russell Jelter noiztank at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:25:38 PDT 2010

http://abundanthope.net/pages/Other_Spiritual_Pieces_68/Be-Selfish-Be-Generous-Rekindling-the-Gift-Economy.shtml

At the bottom of the page is a link to the video that the transcript belongs
to. But there is some background information at the top of the page before
the transcript starts, so that might be interesting too.

Have you guys seen this? Or heard about Charity Focus? I first heard about
CharityFocus because I subscribed to their mailing list that delivers
heartwarming news stories often. But apparently CharityFocus is an umbrella
nonprofit focused on helping gift economy projects take off. And they've
done some great stuff. Theres a free restaurant on Sundays that is run by a
different cast of volunteers every week and serves its customers for free.
Theres a gift economy health clinic, too. These are both in Berkeley,
California, USA, but I'm sure it would be useful to get in touch so that all
the gift economy "enthusiasts" (or whatever you want to be called) can put
their heads together and get the ball rolling.

And while I'm at it, I thought I would let you guys check out a pamphlet
I've been working on. I've just been trying to think of how to very
concisely persuade people to give a serious consideration to the possibility
of a gift economy as a primary method of distributing resources, and I think
it's pretty good at this point. Simplistic, perhaps, but short enough that
people will actually read it :).

(The attatchments are all the same, just different formats so you can decide
how to read it. The .odt and .doc are in the form of a pamphlet while the
.txt is just the text without formatting.)

-Russell

--
http://www.onelovee.org - A place where you can offer goods and services to
others without asking for anything in return.