[Altruistic-Economics] Alternative economic thinking

Robin Upton robin2008 at altruists.org
Fri Jun 18 01:46:22 PDT 2010

Hi there, Medium Dog (cc'ed to the Altruistic Economics mailing list)

I've just read with interest
http://angeleconomics.blogspot.com/2009/06/short-sketch.html
It shares more than just an acronym with another economic system I am
working on,
Altruistic Economics. e.g. Both are non-monetary systems to offer an
alternative.

One difference is that Altruistic Economics does not require abolition
of private property.
Whether this is a desirable goal is a moot point, and I should point out
that Altruistic Economics
is not a destination, but a step on a journey, a step back from the
psychopathic selfishness of
the globalised market. Abolition of private property seems like a huge
step, and one that
cannot be easily implemented piecemeal bottom-up.

Altruistic Economics is designed for use in a Global Gift Economy, which
may seem like a
big change of direction from the current ethos of selfishness that
surrounds money, but which
I think is inside almost everyone waiting for a chance to come out.
Under Altruistic Economics,
economic organisation is bottom up, so there is no one 'in charge' who
could, for example,
apportion out 'boring and unpleasant tasks'. If such tasks had desired
consequences, those who
desired them would probably arrange to get them done. If not, they
probably would not get done.
Of course, the same applies to all tasks.

Altruistic Economics has no requirements of exclusivity; it could
coexist with con-money (e.g. $/£/EUR...)
and/or angel economics equally well. Your feedback is welcome. Is Angel
Economics still an
area of interest for you? If so, how have your ideas moved on in this area?

Robin Upton
http://altruists.org/ae