[GiftEconomy] 'Emerges'? How about 're-emerges'?

Tereza Coraggio tereza at retrometro.com
Sun Apr 24 09:20:15 PDT 2011

Hi, Frank

I've had long email discussions with the Henry George Society, of
which I'm a member by virtue of having taught a (one-student)
correspondence course in liberation theology through them. However I
disagree with them about land use fees. Property taxes are the most
destructive tax there is for sustenance farmers and has been used for
land-grabs from indigenous people all over the world.

The plan I've proposed to them divides land monopolies into 50 parcels
of roughly equal value, as determined by the owner. Each year the
owner pays 2% of the cumulative value, but has to sell two parcels of
the government's choice (4% of the land) at whatever value he's put on
them. If he puts a high value on his land, he pays more taxes. If he
puts a low value, he has to sell at that rate without knowing which
parcels the government will choose.

These parcels are then made available in a contest in which all local
residents vote on the winners. The contestants submit their plan for
how they'd use the land to benefit the greatest number of residents.
In each year more land would be coming up for use, so those who don't
win one year can try the next.

My logic for this is that it's land distribution that matters - not
the money collected in the land use tax. Indigenous communities want
the land, not the dependency created by the money. Henry George was
brilliant but still saw things from a consumer perspective, in my
opinion.

Tereza