[GiftEconomy] "sailing the farm" : in search of resilient communities - nearby navigable waters

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 13:21:18 PDT 2011

Dear Gift economists, may be of interest...

perhaps you would recommend some places / resilient communities you know
along some coast or navigable waters, anywhere around the world ?

-----

I find the following initiative of great interest.

http://www.couchsurfing.org/people<http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/sailing-the-farm/>
/sailing- <http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/sailing-the-farm/>the-farm/<http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/sailing-the-farm/>
 ;
post:
http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read.html?gid=1173&post=8266944#gpid8266944

*They are building a boat, on a farm in Norway.*
*There is interest in sailing between ecovillages and transition town
movements.*

It seems to be a culturally diverse (self organized ?) group of people
living together and building together.
The contact for the project seems to be "Ze".
I have been exchanging a few emails with her, and wish to share some
excerpts below.

It resonates with some of my own childhood dreams.
I personally project parallels with the Hansa ( but with a
convivial<http://www.delicious.com/deliciousdante/conviviality>resilient
communities
(1 <http://bit.ly/gU50GS> ; 2 ) <http://bit.ly/eBWFjy> non/post capitalist
framework ? )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League
or a league of neo-nomadic neo-venetian
phyles<http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/phyles-the-new-neonomadic-p2p-business-structure-for-the-network-age/2010/09/21>?
*
*
---------------------

Dante :

Thanks for your reply Ze.

you say :
*"we are more in search of ecovillages/transition tows,*
*to be the glue and means of contact and transport between them in future"*

Are your boats also going upstream or on canals ?

*Ze :*

hi dante.
yes, boat can go upstream and into canal. (maste height is around 14meter).

what i am in search of is contact info for such stransition towns and
ecovillages.
wwoof could also be of interest but i think most of wwoof places is family
run
farm which is something very different.
we are building up a transport network between communities not between
family
run places. (we want to help communities survive in the long run)

thanks for tips. already know about findhorn (which is a little questionable
since its a bit more or less a business place these days) and also know
about
gendatabase and ic.org

*Dante :*

it somehow reminds me of the historic hanseatic league ... except for the
capitalist component :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League

https://jspivey.wikispaces.com/file/view/hanseatic_league.jpg/71484255/hanseatic_league.jpg

note :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanseatic_League#Expansion
*the League never became a closely-managed formal organisation. *
*
*
*Ze :*
*
*
*thanks,
short remark its not nearby waters, its global project. ie it means we need
places on all continents. a few on each continent is a good start (we have
some
already in south america, the Med and pacific)*
*
*
*reg hanseatic league.

the hansa transport network and cities is well known in norway. it was a
very
commercial venture in northern europe, (shipping fish among others stuff
from
Norway) making some people/companies in northern germany rich and almost had
monopoly situation which give them much power.

we are thankfully far away from this and hopefully work far away from such
capitalistic way of thinking.
we want to help connect them, ship goods and people williing to work for
free
betwen communities. and in return keep us with food/repair etc.
at least that is our goal. but first we need to finish up the prototype
first
then expand slowly with some bigger boats up to 15 meter in length.

*