[GiftEconomy] Contact from top 500 website

Robin Upton robin2008 at altruists.org
Sat Oct 2 21:16:04 PDT 2010

Mindful of Elf's posting, I add a 4th area:

4) Subvert their business by deliberately undermining people's
motivation to participate.

It occurs to me that since they took the step of monetising it, they may
already be on this road.
c.f. http://altruists.org/ae605 They are Wolfenschiessen. If they do
find that monetising it has a big
detrimental effect on willingness to perform for free (which I think it
might) then it'd be good to have
the statistics to document this, and publish on the topic.

On 03/10/10 03:52, elf Pavlik wrote:
> 3) learn more about decentralized systems and P2P ? =)
> Hopefully it will not bring them nightmares...

As the owners of a top 500 website, I doubt that they will be in this
headspace.
Relax, I won't spend too long on them, away from developing the F2F
plan/code.
> Honestly I don't understand how tipping tokens which get exchanged for $
> differ from giving money directly?
I'll ask them about this, but I think the token stage is just an idea
for them to take a cut.
> Doesn't sound much like gift economy from what I understood...

It also wasn't what I had imagined for a world wide gift economy :-)
It is an optional payment after the fact. But I think it can become
payment before the fact,
by the dynamics of money.
> Personally I would recommend them to encourage people to build healthy
> relations with other people instead of watching porn on the computer.

Coincidentally, I published a radio program yesterday from which you can
gauge my take on pornography:
http://www.unwelcomeguests.net/519
> Maybe my input doesn't come much helpful here but I don't like when some
> people try to make $ on porn. I also have problem to believe that this
> company gives much damn about anything else then their revenue!

Of course, you may well be right on this. How do people get to run such
a large company?
So my main aim will be data collection to understand dynamics of
tipping, and if I see a
Wolfenschiessen phenomenon going on, then gather data to understand it.

Robin